Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Terrible, horrible, no good very bad day

Have you ever had one of those days where it feels like the universe is against you? I'm stuck in one of those and I don't want to start over, I just want it to BE over.

It started out like it was going to be a great day. Little r slept until 7:30 a.m., which was lovely. Then it seemed everything went awry. Little r's diaper leaked and everything including the precious "dankee" was soaked in urine. We did a quick cleanup party and I handwashed the dankee so I could quickly get it in the dryer. Your life should not be mandated by the lovely your child carries around and yet I allow it to control me far too much.

I had made a last minute decision to head to post with Big R so that I could pick up some things at the PX. That was probably where I made my mistake.

After spending an hour at the community center so little r could play until everything on the post opens (I realize we have to reduce hours for budget cutbacks, but come on, army!), I bundled the little man up and strapped him in the stroller to walk across post. I made myself a list and after five toddler meltdowns and three stores, managed to walk away with only two of the items on my list of ten. And no, it wasn't because I forgot or was frazzled, it was because the PX failed me miserably. I broke down and scheduled a hair appointment on post (praying this isn't a poor decision) while bribing little r to stay calm with gummy bears. At least one thing was accomplished today.

Finally we headed to the bus. I've had a few occasions where I had to ride the bus with little r sans stroller, which has now made it a near impossibility to keep him in one when we are on the bus. He was being cute and behaving so I was happy and reflecting on my crazy day capitalizing on the things that went well.

Then the unthinkable happened… I am mortified just thinking about it. Little r was getting a little rambunctious as he was standing in his seat to look out the window. When the bus came to its next stop, the bus driver got out of his seat and walked back to me. Like one of those bad dreams where everything moves in slow motion and fire was shooting out of his eyes. Then he let me have it. Short of kicking me off the bus, he sternly told me to control my child. It always sounds scarier in German, too. The older and snobbery woman sitting in front of us nodded her head in approval at the tongue lashing I just received. Awesome. Can I crawl in a cave, please?

I somehow fenagled little r back into his stroller and pushed back the tears of shame. I got off a few stops early and stopped at my favorite bakery for comfort food (so much for my diet).

We made it to the house and the delivery guy practically pounced on me. This is starting to become an annoying occurrence where I am signing for everyone's packages simply because I happened to be home. With my arms absurdly full with my neighbors packages and the few things I got at the store, I worked our way up the hill to our door. I got little r parked in front of his lunch and a movie and I went to retrieve the dankee that I soon discovered was still completely soaked. Yes. My day needs to end.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment