Sunday, November 20, 2011

Book club

Have you ever had the joy of being part of a group of ladies (or men) that are so incredible they add true value to your life?  I was blessed to have had such a group in Richmond that I sadly had to leave behind.  I was worried it would take years, if not several more assignments, to find such a great group of people again.  I am elated to tell you that I have had the pleasure of joining a group of ladies for a book club here.  This group of women are the type you write home about.  They are intelligent, light-hearted, thoughtful, serious, insightful, and they emit positive energy.

Last night we met for our third time to discuss a book that was a little different than most you might find in a book club.  When my fellow JAG-spouse and good friend asked if I would be interested in being a part of a small book club, I was a little skeptical.  I enjoy reading, but I don't give myself much time for it, and what I had heard of other book clubs in the past honestly scared me a bit.  My chosen career in the legal field results in an incredible amount of reading, and it's not typically the type of reading you would do on a sunny Sunday afternoon.  That said, I started realizing that I enjoyed reading most when the books were slightly more "light" and allowed you to escape to a place that was familiar and entertaining.  Not that I don't enjoy or appreciate a well-written novel that is seeping with culture and richness, I just find that I won't take the time for it.  Embarrassing as that might be to admit.  I was also a bit nervous about having the time to read a book every month.

Well, this book club was more than I could have expected, or just what the doctor ordered.  We have an eclectic mix of nonfiction novels deep with history, "light" satire, and great classics.  I am finding that I read much more quickly than I ever expected, and I'm enjoying reading again.  Most importantly, I am in love with the group of ladies I get to spend an evening with once a month.

Last night I had the honor of hosting our group.  It was fun to have people over to our little abode and it motivated me to get a few decorating projects done and scrub the house clean (thank you, ladies!). Our group was small last night, and those that couldn't join us were sorely missed.  But we were still able to have a great time talking about life, and, oh yeah, the book!

Thank you, ladies, for being such an amazing group of women.  You filled a void I was missing having to leave some great friends behind, and you far surpass any of my wildest expectations.  I can't wait until next month!  

p.s. little r ate green beans today - GREEN BEANS!  

No comments:

Post a Comment