Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sniffles...

This winter season has been a doozy for our family. We keep getting pumeled again and again with some iteration of the flu. Somehow the hubby has escaped barely scathed, but Little R and I have taken a beating. Sinuses are overrated. Little R and I found out that you don't need to breathe to live, at least not well. As I am not the biggest fan of antibiotics, we held on for the ride. Little R continued to lose most of his brain matter out of his nostrils and developed the nickname "rudolph" at daycare, and I was fighting to hold onto my voice and learning to sleep sitting straight up or in some instances standing. It was a joy, and I finally gave in and sought care from the old doctor. Little R's pediatrian is a miracle worker. I was uncertain, but the doc convinced me that four weeks is long enough to suspect an infection brewing. My experience with three doctors and a round of antibiotics later was not as pleasant, but we both somehow recovered eventually. Now that we were healthy again, Little R and I had the most amazing past two weeks. After daylight savings blessed us making the days longer, but more importantly, allowed the sun to rise a little later, my little bear started sleeping like a champ. I'm not putting this lightly either. The kid can sleep, and you will never hear me complain. When is the last time someone told you they had to wake their 18-month old up on a weekend? It's been a nice ride... But this blessed season refuses to end, and it just can't make it's mind up here in Virginia. I feel for those living in the northeast or out west where winter is endless, but Virginia is just plain confused. The yo-yo weather pattern is wreaking havoc on the health of us Commonwealth folk. Add in the wonderful airborne allergens that plague us this time of year, and we have a perfect storm. And yes, Little R and I are at it again. Snots a flowin' and coughs are back, which translates into cranky toddler with a rudolph nose and a short temper. For the first time in weeks, my sweet little sleeper woke crying for his "daddy." Everything important to this child is "daddy." (Big R doesn't understand just yet how special that is). In this instance it was the beloved blankey that needed rescuing. When I entered his room he nearly jumped out of his crib and gave me his big monkey grip begging for some masterful snuggling time. Little R sweetly fluffed up his blanket, or "aukee" as he likes to call it, and rested his head gently on my shoulder. As I rocked that little sweetheart, all I could hear was his Darth Vader breathing. Poor child could hardly get in a breath and his aukee was drenched with snotty "brain matter" - yes, gross. I miss these snuggles with my little one. While I was holding my little bear, I realized he is getting so big. When did he become this little boy? Well, I hope the sniffles don't stick around so long this time, and the magical doctors will not need to be called. Until then, I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to some more snuggle time...

No comments:

Post a Comment