Monday, January 23, 2012

Mommy's day off




Friday was a day off for me. I had no clue what I was going to do, I was just aware that I seriously needed to take a break. I had reserved a day of daycare for little r the week before and I finagled a way to steal the car from Big R so I'd have a more efficient method for getting around. We had to get up early to take Big R to the train station. That was the small price I had to pay for the vehicle. Big R was more than willing. He had yet another day in court, but went into Friday morning feeling pretty great after having secured another acquittal for his client. Dropping little r off at daycare was made easy by his increasing excitement. I told him he was going to school and he kept saying how he wanted to play with the kids. He gave me a kiss as I walked out the door and headed right for the arts and crafts table. My suspicions were then confirmed, the kid is clearly bored to tears with me. But, it made leaving him there for the day much easier. I'm sick of being on the post. Guess it's a good thing we don't live here. I could have easily done a million things on post, but I drove right out the gate and vowed not to head back until I picked up little r. Still no clue what I was going to do, I founds self on a path to the German mini-mall down the street. My original plan of taking the puppy for a long walk was disrupted by nasty weather. I could brave through it, but that's no fun for either of us. I decided with nothing but time on my hands, I was going to ignore my "to do" list for once and explore the German stores. It's no secret, or maybe it is, but I hate shopping. Always have. Spending money makes my chest tighten so I have always been somewhat frugal and buying things takes a long decision making process. This is probably the reason I prefer to shop alone (or with my sister because we are the same this way). Buying things for myself I'm even worse about. I can never justify it. Being that walking into a store makes me anxious on a regular day, you can imagine how it is when I have a toddler in tow. I tend to go in for what I need and get the hell out. So, today I was going to explore what they sell. I'm no longer interested in hiding in the shelter of post. The stores suck, quite frankly, and there's no reason for my dependence on it. The exploring began and before I knew it I was in a dressing room trying on some stylish European digs. It felt good to get a few things for myself. Now that I'm not working, my wardrobe is seriously lacking on chill and stylish clothes to wear out on the town. Can't have little r represented by a woman in mom jeans and sweatshirts anymore. Poor dude will start to get a complex. After spending time walking in and out of stores only to realize all that I need is right there, I walked out of the mini-mall and took a deep breath. I needed this. It's taking me awhile, but I'm determined to meld nicely with this new life and not let the mystery of it swallow me whole. I'm taking another day off this Friday as well. I think this time I'll stick to my list. Now I know where I can find everything that's on it :) - Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment