Thursday, March 1, 2012

Will I ever learn?

I've come to the point where I'm just going to have to accept my toddler is an early riser. It's not a phase, it's not going to end anytime soon, and it's just about time to get used to it. Why is this so difficult?!

We got a break for awhile when little r stopped screaming at 4:30 in the morning and actually slept until after 6 am. On the very rare occasion, he let us sleep until 7, but that is, as I said, rare.

For the past couple of months, little r has been waking up around 6. I decided to take a little more control of my mornings by waking up to an alarm at 5:30 am so I could give myself a chance to welcome the day before he woke up.

It worked for awhile. I'd get a good half hour in where I could make a cup of coffee and read the news or a book. This time was precious and totally worth it. Little r has decided he can't let me do this anymore and now gets up at 5 am. Yes, 5 AM!!!

I'm not sure what to do with this other than embrace it. I just can't force myself to get up before 5 am every day...

I think about things like at least he is quiet and cute about it now compared to his prior escapades of screaming in his crib at wee hours of the morning. It really could be so much worse. I mean, I could be having to wake at this unGodly hour to go to a job...

Despite knowing this is my new fate, I am having the toughest time accepting or getting used to it. Does anyone have any advice about how to become a morning person?

We bought the special alarm clock that's supposed to keep little ones in their room or in bed until they see the wake up light. Problem is, we can't predict what time to set it for so he can learn and setting it for 5 am is something my heart won't let me do yet. Maybe next week?

I think we're all going to have to hit the sack a wee bit earlier. I might also have to give in and ask Big R to pick up a shift once a week so I can keep my sanity somehow. Especially since this morning little r decided 4:30 was a good time to wake up, and despite my failed attempts, Big R was able to lull him back to sleep where he stayed until nearly 7. It's a daddy's touch - I'll take it. Regardless of what my toddler thinks, 4:30 a.m. is not morning yet - well, for most people, that is (I should probably be careful saying that while we're part of an army community being that the commanders, etc., wake up at this hour on a normal day).

We'll see how it goes. Until then, look for me online early, or late, rather, considering most of you are a good few hours behind us. I'll be sipping my coffee and playing trains with little r until the sun wakes up.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment