Thursday, June 30, 2011

Let's give milk another try...


Many of you already know that little r has a sensitive system when it comes to milk.  We discovered this when he was just a couple of weeks old because he would projectile vomit most of what he ate.  And when I say projectile, I am not being dramatic – it would come shooting out of his mouth exorcist style.  Since I was nursing at the time, the pediatrican recommended that I take dairy out of my diet for a week and see if there is any improvement.  That was the beginning of my 7 month hiatus from dairy, and oh how that hurt... I could probably thank little r for helping me lose most of my baby fat though.

So, I went cold turkey off of dairy while I was nursing, and when I stopped nursing we tried slowly introducing a milk-based formula.  That didn't work - his system just couldn't handle the milk protein.  Hello, top of the line formulas!  At a year, we tried it again, and still had no luck.  Little r has instead been drinking almond milk for the past 10 months.  I am happy to report that we may finally have had a breakthrough. I think his little tummy is on its way to maturity.  The teachers at daycare have been helping me introduce whole milk to little r, and so far so good. Not only that, but he apparently loves it!  Go figure!  Just in time for Germany.  Good job, little r - you make your mommy very proud :)

No comments:

Post a Comment