Monday, December 5, 2011

Sometimes things can go your way

Sometimes you get lucky and situations that should be ridiculously complicated are made just a tad bit easier. Today was one of those days for me. I made sure to get all our Christmas packages wrapped and packed for shipping to the US with one minor conundrum… I am without a vehicle for the next few days while Big R fights battles in court located at another post.

We have been warned that Friday is our deadline for shipping to insure arrival by Christmas. Not wanting to push my luck, I was determined to figure out a way to get these packages mailed. A couple different friends offered to help. I'm not sure why I'm always so reluctant to accept help when it's offered to me. I have this pressing need to feel self-sufficient, I suppose. Mostly I just hate putting folks out even when they insist they don't mind.

This morning I decided I was just going to do it. Somehow I managed to survive the trip over to Germany by myself, so surely I could manage a few packages and a toddler on the bus to post.

I stacked the boxes into the stroller and we headed to the bus stop.

I'm not going to lie. I have had some serious stroller envy over the past couple years especially here with the German's fancy baby movers. Big R hates our stroller with a passion. But I'll tell you what, this piece if crap has been the bomb for me in many situations, so I'm thinking we accidentally ended up with a pretty decent stroller afterall.

Little r sat happily on the bus eating his snack and never once asked to get out if his stroller. Normally we'd have to switch buses at the main station, but our bus very conveniently switched to the busline we needed to head to post, so I didn't have to make the ackward switch and wrangle the packages.

Dreading the trek across post it dawned on me I should try the entrance in the back gate. It's this bizarre futuristic looking deal where you swipe your card to get let into a capsule that eventually leads you into the post. The odds were risky, but I decided to give it a go and jumped off the bus early.

I swiped my card, entered the chamber, and placed my index finger on the scanner. It felt like a scene from Star Trek - beam me up, Scottie! This deep voice comes over the intercom stating I've been authorized for entry. Oh lucky day! And if I hadn't been? Glad I didn't have to worry about it.

We were at the post office in less than five minutes. I was the only person in line. Seriously?! This never happens! All the custom forms were actually filled put correctly and the packages are now on their way.

Wish all my adventures went this way. Let's just hope I didn't steal all of Big R's luck and that his trial is going well. Maybe there's just enough luck for all of us today…

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment