Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Please tell me this is just a phase

Little r has decided that he needs to add a little spice to my life. I was thinking things were getting pretty spicy, so I wasn't really prepared for this latest addition. Fortunately, for me, little r has nearly always been a good sleeper. Sure, he has his moments, but for the most part he goes to bed without a fuss and typically wakes up between 630 and 700, which can hardly be something to complain about considering he's only two.

Lately, and especially in the past few days, little r has decided that wake up time is at 5 a.m.  Mommy is NOT a fan.  I know, I should consider myself lucky that this is just now happening, but that thought doesn't make waking up early any easier.  Being that this has started happening with some regularity, I made the executive decision yesterday that he was going to start heading to bed earlier.  The only thing worse than getting up at the ungodly hour is waking up to a crankpot toddler.

I had also decided it was time to accept this new routine and embrace it with all that I could muster. Yes, big groooooan.  This could be a phase, but for some reason I'm not holding my breath.  I was clearly not paying attention to myself because when little r woke me up at 5 a.m. - on the dot (how do they do that?!) - I was anything but ready to accept the wake up call. It's like an alarm clock without a snooze button.  Should have figured all those years of snoozing too much would finally catch up with me!

This morning little r decided he was actually going to let me read my Nook and the news on my phone, things he rarely allows me to do with any regularity (I realize I just used the word "allow" with regard to my toddler, I know you parents out there understand EXACTLY what I mean).  Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for this sweet little surprise and neither of my fancy electronic devices were charged enough to allow more than five minutes of browsing.  Ah, Murphy, you got me again!

So, I snuggled down to watch Cars 2 (AGAIN) with little r in an attempt to keep him quiet and not wake up everyone in the building.  I'm convinced my neighbors really hate me at this point.  I have to admit, he was being pretty darn cute watching his movie.  I mean, look at this video - he cracks me up shaking his bootie.  Notice that the thumb is in his mouth the entire time though.  Just wish I could convince him that he's tired and should sleep just a little big longer, perhaps?

I snuck in a little catnap, and let little r watch his new favorite obsession again.  I can be a real sucker when I'm tired, and I have no doubt this will come back to bite me.  My adjustment to this new routine is taking a little time...hopefully I'll figure out something that will work well for all of us.  If you have any pointers, I'm all ears!


No comments:

Post a Comment