Sunday, June 30, 2013

First run post pregnancy

It feels like it has been a long time coming, but I finally donned my running shoes and hit the trails. I seriously had to shake cobwebs out of my bones. It was hard to succumb to my pregnancy and give up running, and it feels incredible to be back out there again.

My body took longer to recover than I expected, and I'm still not feeling completely back to normal yet. But the doc gave the thumbs up, and the opportunity was there, so I had to give it a try.

I ran one of my favorite trails. Forget the gym. The gym and I don't necessarily get along. I needed to feel dirt under my feet and take in the elements to ensure my first post pregnancy run would be a success.

My goal was not to keel over and hopefully not to stop. Luckily my feet remembered this trail I have run dozens of times. One foot in front of the other and I found myself back into my old rhythm. Man, did it feel good. And I made it. I ran the entire way without stopping or collapsing.

This is seriously going to hurt tomorrow and my abs feel like they are going to shake out of my body, but man did that feel invigorating. My mind didn't really forget how much I love running, but I think my body needed the reminder. Despite being seriously sleep deprived, I have a crazy burst of energy.

Of course I haven't got a clue how well I'll keep this up. This could be the last run I do for awhile or it could light a fire in me. We all have things we need to keep us going. The past six or so months have been challenging and not having my regular runs - my moving meditation - forced me to face far more emotions head on and look for other ways of release. I'm afraid to admit that more often than not I didn't release and instead let it all build up. Never healthy, right?

We have a seriously rich life with two amazing kids, loads of travel (with those two amazing kids), and a lot of change preparing to happen in the not-too-distant future. I'm glad to be back on my feet where I can blow out all the stress and pent up emotions and really be there for my family. I am so ready to have myself back again. Who knows, maybe you'll actually hear from me more often again. Lord knows we have an insane amount to tell you about these days.

Happy Sunday and I hope you get a chance to find yourself today!

xoxo

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

 

No comments:

Post a Comment