Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Universe is trying to tell me something...

The "dankee" is my nemisis. It's plain and simple. Little r loves that hunk of cotton like no other, and I can completely understand the attachment being that I still have mine (try not to judge, it's just how things work sometimes). But lately, that cotton blanket has been putting my head into a tailspin. It actually hasn't given me much heartburn recently. The last time we lost the thing was last summer, and since then I keep ahold of it like nobody's business. When it comes up "missing" it's generaly found in the comparment of his firetruck, or stuffed into a box or corner somewhere, but it doesn't stay into hiding for long... 

Enter our insanity yesterday... Much to my objection, little r was NOT going to leave his dankee at home. He insisted that he bring it to kindergarten and that it stay there with him all day. It's not that this is forbidden or anything. I let him bring it to school occasionally - when he's sick, super tired, seemingly attached... The teachers at his kindergarten are awesome about helping him keep track of it. Even the other toys he insists on taking with him to school eventually find their way back home (ok, most of them do - some end up in other little boy's pockets and go home with them, but most return themselves to little r's bag).

 

Yesterday we had a different series of events unfold. When I picked him up, we went to grab his things and his dankee was not among them. Very strange. We did a quick search and then I asked one of his teachers if she had seen it. We tore apart that kindergarten. Trying hard to retrace every last step that little kid took. The likelihood was dim that some little kid went home with it. Unlike the cool cars little r brought to school, I can guarantee his dankee is a ragged mess (that usually smells just lovely) that not even a small child other than little r would find fascinating enough to bring home.

 

We had to leave without the dankee. My attitude was somewhat nonchalant. Until I let my mind ruminate on the idea as we walked home. Then it wondered into areas of my imagination I didn't want it to go. Reminding me things like, we are going on a two week vacation to the U.S. this week for my sister's wedding and no dankee ment...the thought was TOO painful. Let's just not go there.

 

Just before my heart was racing so hard I was close to cardiac arrest, the kindergarten called and said they had found it. Holy bananas! For all of you that sent good "finders" vibes this way, we thank you!

 

I'd like to say this post ends there, but, of course, that would be no fun at all. It's more interesting to know that we lost it again today. And no, it wasn't at kindergarten. I might have a few screws loose, but I'm not quite that stupid (or at least I don't think I am). No, this time the dankee was lost in the comfortable confines of my own home.

 

After yesterday, I was not letting that happy piece of cotton love out of my sight. It stayed here all day, and I was careful to watch little r with it every moment we were at home. My mind has been all but made up that there is rarely an occasion to bring the dankee out of our house. So, it didn't...leave our house, that is...

 

We were settling down for a little tv time before dinner, and little r asked for his dankee. "Well, where is it sweetheart?" "It's gone, Mommy." Ok, seriously, what does that mean? I immediately went on a search throughout the house looking for it. For nearly an hour I retraced every step I thought that little man made. I placed myself in the mind of a toddler, and, of course, that of the dankee as well, and tried with all my might to locate that....THING!!!

 

My pleas for help got me nowhere. Little r was too enthrawled with Curious George to realize we were amidst a tradegy. Oh, to have such bliss. I finally just gave up. I had turned my house inside out looking for that blanket, and I had absolutely nothing... nada, zilch. We were SO SCREWED!!! Yes, the universe is definitely trying to tell me something...

 

You most definitley noted that I used the word "were" so you know there is an end to this story. I tossed up my hands and headed into the kitchen to make dinner for little r. My hope was that taking a break would make it miraculously appear. The break had absolutely nothing to do with how that blanket was found.

 

I'm halfway through dinner prep and there it is...sitting inside the SILVERWARE DRAWER!!! Seriously?! Little r, you are no doubt going to be the end of me, buddy. No clue WHAT his dankee was doing in the silverware drawer, and my child with the otherwise brilliant memory had nothing to offer as to why it was there or what he was thinking when he put it there. We'll let this go, THIS TIME.

 

I'm just relieved we finally found it... I think I need to pin it to his shirt on our trip this week. It's liable to end up in the pilot's lap if I'm not careful...

No comments:

Post a Comment