Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fall is in the air and I just had the most invigorating run I've had in a long while

It's been raining all day - the kind of rain that comes down in steady sheets and makes tranquil sounds on your window.  A perfect day to curl up in sweats and a blanket and read a book while the baby naps.  I did that. Then I had this undying urge to go for a run.  Something I haven't done in a very long time.  Why I felt like running in rain that would have me soaked within the first quarter mile I would never know, but my legs were restless and the moment was drawing me out.  With a little encouragement from Big R to go for it, I pulled out my old running gear, strapped on my running shoes, and cranked up my iPod.

I took the trail we frequently use for our long Sunday walks, but the trail is so much different without a toddler hooting in your ear or an old pup stopping every couple of minutes to take in the latest smells.  The rain had stopped just as I left the house, it was a lovely 55 degrees (one of these days I'll get accustomed to using Celsius, but I don't have it down quite yet), and there was a fresh crispness to the air - absolutely perfect weather for a run.

The run started making me feel nostalgic for Vermont and happy to be living in a place where I can enjoy running again.  The hills kicked my lazy behind, but the soft trails helped motivate me to keep on going, and somehow I finished my four-mile or so run without a pause.  It helps that my music was so loud that I couldn't hear my heart beating out of my chest.  Big R was right, it is a rare experience these days that I get a nice run without little r or Rani, and as much as I adore both of them, it was an invigorating experience.

Germany might have just brought the runner back out in me afterall...

No comments:

Post a Comment